Scotland: Undiscovered Orkney
Orkney is an archipelago of 70 islands, each with their own distinctive charm, history and natural beauty. Over the years Brightwater Holidays has explored almost every nook and cranny of Orkney, yet these beautiful islands contain many more secrets and hidden gems that need to be discovered. Based on Mainland, we will have an opportunity to visit previously unexplored areas as we discover the historic landmarks and captivating landscapes of the North and South Isles.
On the island of Westray we will relive Orkney’s Viking past as we sail the Old Norse sea routes. We will also sail across Scapa Flow to Hoy – an island of dramatic mountain scenery and seascapes that inspired the Orcadian symphonies of former resident Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies. Finally, we will explore Mainland and the sites that are collectively known as the ‘Heart of Neolithic Orkney’ – Maeshowe, the Stones of Stenness and Skara Brae.
No Single Room Supplement in August
NC500: Please note that this itinerary features part of the North Coast 500, the highly scenic coastal route around the north of Scotland which begins and ends in Inverness.
departures:Select Your Departure Date
What to Expect
- Spectacular sea cliffs of Noup Head, Westray
- Views of the Old Man of Hoy as we sail to Scrabster
- Discover Orkney’s Naval history at the Scapa Flow Museum
- The UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Maeshowe, Stones of Stenness and Skara Brae
- A dram of the finest whisky at Scapa Distillery
- No Single Room Supplement