Visit Austria and get lost in its picture-perfect landscapes, time-honoured traditions and fascinating historic tales. Home to incredible creative talent, from artist Gustav Klimt to director of the 1920s masterpiece ‘Metropolis’ Fritz Lang, this is a destination that will enchant any culture lover. A memorable place to visit all year round, Austria is also a stone’s throw from Oberammergau in Germany, which is renowned for its legendary Passion Play performance, taking place just once every ten years. Back over the border, take a scenic ride aboard the Zillertal Steam Railway, see sites made famous by ‘The Sound of Music’ and discover Mozart’s birth-town of Salzburg.
Country Information - Austria
- Visa - Visas are not required by British citizens in Austria
- Currency - The currency of Austria is the Euro which replaced the Schilling.
- How to Dress - Austrian dress tends to be quite formal and stylish. Temperatures plummet in the winter so be sure to take warm weather clothing during this time
- Cultural Differences - Vienna is considered by many to be the musical capital of Europe, particularly famous for its opera. Austria is landlocked, bordered by eight countries which has lead to a diverse culture
- Language - Austrian German is the most common language in Austria
- Tipping - Tipping is expected in Austria. 5 - 10% is a reasonable amount